Thursday, January 26, 2012

My thoughts on Kris review.


 Kris review on Turkle and Gopnik
English 1101/natalie
 I really  like the way Kris writes his paper. I like how he said, “it filled me with joy to read Gopnik’s stand point on Turkles argument it is flawed.” I agree. I like the how he referenced the page numbers.  I also like how he said, “digital media is a new tool used to make an original product.”  I agree with Kris when he said the positive affects of digital media out way any negative ones. I personally stay more in touch with friends and family with tex or internet then without it. It does consume todays generation but, it matters how you use it. I could spend hours on gaming or I could limit myself. It matters what your priorities are. I enjoyed Kris’s reply to Turkle and Gopniks thoughts.
Kris Passmore
Tyler Chadwick
English 1101
1/24/2012
My response toward Turkle’s writing was that it read like another monotonous lecture, written by an upset person who quivers in fear at the inevitable generational change. Following Turkle’s segment, it filled me with joy to read that Gopnik’s stand point is that Turkle’s argument is flawed, one-sided, contradictory, and over-exaggerated. “Turkle and her interviewees sometimes seem to treat minor variations on human nature like threatening psychological revolutions (42).” Gopnik believes that Turkle views the digital age with entirely too much pessimism. The positive affects of digital media out way any negative ones.
Gopnik also illustrates that generational gaps are not new concepts. The youths of today, like every generation, have simply developed a new means to an old end. “But, at least since writing began, perhaps even since language itself began, human beings have conducted their most intimate lives through abstract, digital symbols (42-43).” The media in which people convey their output is ever changing. However, it is human nature to express oneself, regardless of which medium we choose. Digital media is a new tool used to make an original product.      

No comments:

Post a Comment